The Individual Investor Programme (also know as Citizenship by Investment) grants citizenship to individuals and their families who contribute to the economic and social development of Malta. Applicants are subject to a stringent diligence process before being recommended for naturalization.
To qualify for citizenship, the main applicant must be at least 18 years of age, provide proof of residency in Malta for a period of 12 months preceding the issuing of a certificate of nationalization and meet the following investment requirements:
- The acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of € 350,000 to be held for at least 5 years or lease a residential property at an annual rent of at least € 16,000 for a period of 5 years.
- Immovable property cannot be let or sublet.
- Make a contribution to the National Development and Social Fund An investment in stocks, bonds or special purpose vehicles to be identified by Identity Malta, for a minimum value of € 150,000 to be held for a minimum period of 5 years.
Applicants must have a Global Health Insurance coverage for at least € 50,000 for the main applicant and each of the dependants and must give proof that they can maintain the same for an indefinite period.
Applications must be accompanied by supporting identification and verification documents
authenticated in English, as set out in the Checklist and Guidelines, together with;
- Police conduct certificates
- Proof that the main applicant has been a resident of Malta for a period of 12 months preceding
- Medical certificates stating that the applicant and his dependants are not suffering from
contagious diseases and are in good health
- An affidavit of support for each dependant who is over 18 years of age.
All applicants aged 18 years and over are obliged to attend in person in Malta to undertake the
Oath of Allegiance
Principal Applicants can include in their IIP application:
- Spouse – in a monogamous marriage or in another relationship having the same or similar status
- Dependants of 18 years of age and under.
- Dependants between the age of 18 and 26 years of age, who are not married and who are wholly
supported by the main applicant and form part of the household.
- Dependants over the age of 55 years (e.g. parents), who are wholly supported by and who form
part of the household of the main applicant.
- Principal applicant €650,000
- Spouse €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 0-17 €25,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €50,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €50,000
Due Diligence Fees
- Principal applicant €7,500
- Spouse €5,000
- Each Dependant child aged 13-17 €3,000
- Each Dependant child aged 18-26 €5,000
- Each Dependant aged 55 or above €5,000
- €500 per person
- €200 per application